Saturday, February 25, 2017

Module 4

Wow, this is our last module of readings! It's crazy how time flies. I appreciated that the authors decided to include a chapter on relational wellness in a book geared mostly towards physical wellness. I thought that the charts about what both males and females looked for in a spouse both at a secular university and at a Christian university was quite interesting. Some thing, like religious orientation, were on opposite ends of the scale, while others, like good heredity and good housekeeper, were on the same end of the scale (bottom). Through reading the chapter and others' discussion posts, I noticed that there was a theme on taking care of yourself and finding out who you are in order to have better relationships. I completely agree with this. If we are not filled with Christ, then in our relationships, we will be looking to be filled from the other person. But if we are overflowing with love from our heavenly Father, then we can share that love with those around us. Steve Arterburn, founder of New Life Ministries, says "Respect is crucial to relational health. But you can't respect others unless you respect yourself. You can admire someone if you don't respect yourself. You can envy them. You can crave their attention. But you can never truly respect them." Arterburn goes on to say that how much you respect yourself is reflective of how much you are able to respect another. 

Forgiveness was another topic touched on in the chapter, and definitely a very important one for relationships. As the book said, it is not seen as much in our society these days, yet it so important. I think another very important thing associated with this is asking for forgiveness and admitting that you were wrong, that it was your fault or that you should've done things differently. I know I particularly struggle with this; asking for forgiveness and admitting that we were wrong is not an easy thing to do and is definitely not intrinsic of our nature. I know this is something I need to work on in all of my relationships and I know that, while difficult, it will produce deeper relationships. 


Works Cited:
Arterburn, S. (2014, November 24). 6 Marks of a Healthy Relationship. Retrieved February 25, 2017, from http://www.crosswalk.com/family/marriage/relationships/6-marks-of-a-healthy-relationship.html

No comments:

Post a Comment